Wednesday, January 25, 2012

St. Andrews University Offers Unique Equine Education




Nestled into the farming landscape of Scotland County, North Carolina is the 100-acre St. Andrews University Equestrian Program. Although I have lived 20 minutes from this facility for over eight years, I've never taken the opportunity to learn more about it, until yesterday. The purpose of the visit yesterday was to learn about the program and write it up for this blog. The program is very multifaceted, and it will be hard to describe all that they do, so I will include the website address at the bottom of the post. Like many other colleges and universities in North Carolina, St. Andrews has competitive teams that compete in the IHSA (Intercollegiate Horse Show Association), and they have hosted several events at their facilities in Scotland County. I met with Peggy McElveen, the Equestrian Director, and she showed me the different units (Western Stables, English Stables, Student Horse Boarding Stables, and Covered Arena). The facility is very nice and exists because of a lot of hard work, donations of time and money, and grants received.



I was most intrigued by the Therapeutic Horsemanship Program, one of the first in the nation and the University’s "Ride like a Knight" Program. This program serves individuals with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), At-Risk Youth, Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Developmental Delay or Disability, Downs Syndrome, Hearing Impairment, Learning Disability, Mental Retardation, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, or Speech Impairment. The University also works with the Wounded Warrior Project. The Wounded Warrior Project's mission is to "foster the most successful, well-adjusted generation of wounded service members in our nation's history." The program at St. Andrews allows the opportunity for wounded veterans to get back in the saddle or, in some cases, it allows veterans who have never been on a horse the opportunity to ride. For more information about this program and the other equine programs at St. Andrews University, visit the school's website. That link, as well as the PATH (Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International) and Wounded Warriors link, is below.



http://www.sapc.edu/Equest/equest.php

http://www.pathintl.org/about-path-intl/about-path-intl

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/mission.aspx

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing such an amazing job. The effort fulfills all the requirement of reader, who wants to know about the subject matter. I must say thanks for a wonderful job and keep your chin up.
    Custom Writing Services

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a good horse blog for horse lovers of all ages, abilities, and riding styles. I just want somewhere that I can just read other people's stories and post my own. None of my friends love horses like I do, so I don't have anyone to talk with about horses, and when I do talk about horses around my friends I can tell they get bored and annoyed with me. Any links? Thanks :)


    phlebotomy schools north-carolina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are some possible blogs that you may be interested in. We do not endorse any of the blogs (since they are not from an Extension) source.

      NC Horse News - http://nchorsenews.com/
      http://belrea.edu/blog/the-top-25-horse-bloggers-of-2012/
      http://www.horseforum.com/

      You can also do web searches for horse blogs. There are many out there that you may be interested in.

      Delete