Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Science behind Barefoot Hoof Care


 

Like most horse people, I have too many!  That “too many” number isn’t the same number of horses for everyone – or even the same number all throughout the year -  and certainly doesn’t mean we have any type of personality disorder – it just means we love horses and can’t quite ever get enough!  With “too many horses”, I’m sure you have all noticed, like I have, the rising cost of hoof care.  I am in no way criticizing the farriers for charging what they do – it’s a tough job!  But I needed to start exploring options.  Having been searching and providing scientific, research-based answers for my Extension clients for the last 25 years, that’s what I wanted too – science and research.  I studied boots and natural trimming theories, quizzed my farrier and my farrier friends, tried several products designed to “toughen up” a horses hooves, fixed muddy places in the pastures and run-in sheds and still, had more questions than answers.  I have several clients, colleagues and friends who are firm believers in keeping their horses barefoot, so when our Extension Horse Advisory committee met this summer to help plan our Fall Field Day and requested a barefoot trimming demo,  it fueled my interest in finding the science behind the barefoot trim and the difference between that and “regular” hoof trimming.   

 Planning to use my own horses as guinea pigs for the demo, I took stock of the herd.  I have a few with those cast iron hooves that no matter what, go barefoot year round and their hooves stay perfectly shaped and handle the rockiest terrain without a misstep.  I have a couple who are tough enough to go with just front shoes and a couple who require shoes all around – or so I thought.  A very interesting situation caused me to take my “pet” and use him as the shod-to-barefoot guinea pig.  My favorite horse – the one who has packed my daughter around for 6 years and made her the good rider – and good kid – she is today, came up lame.  Really lame.  Having an excellent vet, we pulled out all the stops to find the cause.  We removed the left front shoe, took radiographs and found nothing - no navicular changes, no rotation of the coffin bone – nothing that would have resulted in such an extreme lameness.  And no apparent abscess.   As great a horse as he is mentally, he has a few challenges physically and one of those is his feet.  For his height and thickness, he has a foot I’ve always considered to be a little too small.  Not extreme, but the one major thing I’d change about him.  And he had a tendency to grow a disproportionate amount of toe which caused him, in his constant state of “energy conservation”, to tend to stumble especially when he was near the end of a shoeing cycle.  And his feet were tender – during a campout last summer, he lost a hind shoe and was so sore after a couple hours on relatively good terrain, I ended up leading him the last hour back to camp. I tell this story not to be “telling my story”, but because it’s everybody’s story – I hear similar accounts from so many people!

I’m happy to report that after 10 days of supportive care, he recovered.  But a most interesting thing happened when we removed that one shoe - almost instantly, his foot changed shape.  What used to have been a somewhat narrow and elongated foot, suddenly became very much round again.  I have a really good farrier – even the barefoot trimmer who did our field day demo remarked what a good shoe job he still had as she removed the three remaining shoes.   But when we took off that first shoe and his foot became more balanced and normal looking than I had seen in 6 years, I was motivated to take the chance and see how he’d fare barefoot.  After removing the remaining three shoes and receiving a very well-done barefoot trim, I’m happy to report no tenderness issues, better hoof shape, better movement - happy and healthy hooves and horses!  Stay tuned for progress reports…
I admit, money was the initial motivator.  But while seeking the science to support a more economical hoof care option, I have found a lot of information (see the links below) to support the philosophy behind returning our horses to care standards more closely resembling those they would experience on their own in nature (can ya tell I dislike the word “natural”?!?)  From nutrition to housing to handling, we have made great strides in the last few decades to try our best to recreate for our horses what makes the most sense to them and for them.  Without many exceptions, the problems our horses present to us are most likely caused by us and the way we ask our horses to adjust to live by our standards of care rather than us taking the effort to provide care that most suits their physiology and psychology.  Not saying any of us would intentionally do something to harm our horses, but we should always strive to know better so we can do better. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment